How to Create Grand Rooms with Aubusson and Needlepoint Rugs
AD100 interior designer Scott Snyder has no peer when it comes to infusing grandeur and magnificence to interiors. He chooses majestic Aubusson rugs, colorful Needlepoint rugs and lyrical Savonnerie rugs to give his interiors a look of classic elegance and symmetry.
The Franklin Report (considered the Zagat Guide for Interior Designers) quotes Scott Snyder's clients:
"It's amazing--the rooms appear to have a grandeur and symmetry, even though they began as fairly odd shapes." reports one client. Another exclaims "The place looks so much bigger than it did when it was completely empty. We were impressed." “He is excellent at understanding the just-so Palm Beach look", concludes another
According to the Franklin Report "... Snyder has such an instinctual eye for design, he can decide the layout and general direction after just a few minutes of observation” ...”Snyder is noted by insiders as "making the most" out of New York's tight living spaces by utilizing grand mirrors and crafty color schemes to greatly enhance the perception of open space. We are told he is also amazing at melding the interior of any given home--be it in the subtropics of Southern Florida or the concrete jungle of Manhattan--into the existing landscape to create a harmonious balance'.
1. A Stately Living Room in Boston, Massachusetts. Scott Snyder chose a large oval medallion Aubusson rug to infuse a majestic aura to this stately Boston living room. Look closely at the colors in the Aubusson rug and you will see that it contains the entire color palette of this room- green, yellow, gold, rose and white. By selecting the fabric colors from the Aubusson rug, Scott pulled the entire room into a coherent whole. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
1A. A Stately Living Room in Boston, Massachusetts. This view reveals how the green color of the wall and silk pillows resonate with the green in the Aubusson rug. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
2. A Classical Library in a Home in Greenwich, Connecticut. The intricate floral needlepoint rug contains green, apricot, rose and beige which are reflected in the upholstery and drapery fabrics. The plain and small scale geometric pattern of the fabrics complement the intricate floral pattern of the needlepoint rug. The vibrant red and green Bargello fabric on the armchair adds zip. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
3. A Stately Dining Room in Greenwich, Connecticut. Scott Snyder is known for his acute sense of symmetry, scale, and proportion. Here he chose a blue and green needlepoint rug whose trellis pattern complements the round shape of the dining table. The soft texture of the needlepoint rug provides a pleasing contrast to the polished wood and silky seats of the dining chairs. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
4. A Regal Dining Room in a Home in Montclair, New Jersey. Scott Snyder's sense of classical symmetry is evident in the choices of a circular mirror centered above the fireplace and a circular chandelier above the round dining table. The purple toned blue silk dining chairs add a regal ambiance while the square pattern in the drapery fabric balances the round shapes in the room. The all over, stylized leaf and floral patterned cream and blue needlepoint rug ties all the elements in a harmonious composition. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
5. A Distinguished Living Room in Palm Beach, Florida. Scott Snyder has created a lyrical arrangement of round and square shaped elements around the circular central medallion of the Aubusson rug. The gold, yellow, coral, green and white in the Aubusson rug are reflected in the colors of the upholstery, drapery, wall and ceiling. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
6. An Imperial Dining Room in an Apartment in Boston, Massachusetts. The white background of the Aubusson rug resonates with the crisp white walls and ceiling. The green leafy trellis in the Aubusson rug harmonizes with the green silk scenic wall panels. The overlapping circles in the chair backs resonate with the round mirror and chandelier. The angular patterns in the fretwork panels in the wall balance the round elements in the room. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
7. A Gracious Living Room in South Hampton, New York. Movement and energy is introduced by the lyrical curves of the vines in the Savonnerie rug. The green and blue colors in the rug are picked up by the upholstery and drapery fabrics and the yellow and gold brings a feeling of sunshine all year round. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
8. A Grand Living Room in a water view Palm Beach, Florida Apartment. All the color and pattern is provided by the floral needlepoint rug. Cobalt blue pillows create pops of color that resonate with the blue sky and ocean. The neutral upholstery and walls provide a calming backdrop. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
9. A Luxurious Master Bedroom Seating Area in a Home in Greenwich, Connecticut. The floral patterned needlepoint rug and comfortable daybed create a cozy place to nestle in with a book. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
10. A Splendid Library on the Waterside in Palm Beach, Florida. Luxuriant green leaves in the needlepoint rug echo the underwater plants in the photographic art. The walls and two sofa are in the same shade of yellow green and the blue sea color in the photos adds pop. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
11. A Noble Library in an Apartment in Boston, Massachusetts. Red lacquered walls and a large scale print fabric on the upholstered chair are grounded by a Bessarabian rug with red, green, gold, dark brown and black accent colors on a beige background. This library is reminiscent of Albert Hadley's legendary design for Brooke Astor's Park Avenue apartment. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
12. A Striking Living Room on the Waterside in Palm Beach, Florida. The Savonnerrie rug's cheery gelato colors- pistachio green, raspberry, lemon and vanilla are reflected in the upholstery and drapery fabrics and painting. There is a wonderful mix of rectangular and rounded shapes in the furniture, lamp base and columns. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.