12 Dazzling Interiors with Decorative Rugs in Red, Yellow and Blue
Red and yellow are both warm colors and blue is a cool color. When used together these colors balance each other and create a satisfying composition as you will see in these 12 stunning interiors with decorative rugs by leading interior designers.
1. Thomas Britt has been an AD100 interior designer for many years. Britt is partial to antique Dhurrie rugs and finds some truly exceptional ones as in this image. The blue geometric field pattern of this decorative rug is surrounded by a red Greek key border. The red stars in the field tie the fiedl to the red border. This is a classical device found in antique rugs. Yellow and blue are on the opposite ends of the color wheel from red. This means that they balance each other as in this living room. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
2. Selina van der Geest designed the living room in Frederic Fekkai home in Millbrook, New York. The orange Oushak rug has a blue border that is barely visible in this image. The red chair is balanced by the pale blue sofa. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
2A. Selina van der Geest This view of the living room shows the blue border surrounding the orange field of the Oushak rug. Orange is made up of red and yellow and is a warm color. Blue is a cool color and using them together in a decorative rug creates a satisfying color balance. Image courtesy Elle Decor
3. Alessandra Branca. The blue decorative rug balances the large amounts of warm yellows and reds in this living room. Image courtesy Traditional Home Magazine.
4. Elaine Griffin's living room in Harlem has a yellow and purple striped decorative rug supporting red chairs. Purple is a mixture of blue with a touch of red and is a cool color which balances the yellow and reds in this living room. The blue books in the bookcase are part of the color composition of this seating area. Image courtesy Elle Decor
4A. Elaine Griffin. Another view of the living room. The blue tiles around the fireplace work with the red upholstery and the yellow stripes in the decorative rug. Image courtesy Elle Decor
4B. Elaine Griffin. This bedroom vignette shows a beautiful composition of blue, yellow and red with white and black as the neutrals. Image courtesy Elle Deco.
5. Albert Hadley's iconic red lacquered library for Brooke Astor has a beautiful Bessarabian rug with red, dark brown and green accents on a golden beige background. Image courtesy the tdclassicist blog
5B. Albert Hadley. Brunschwig & Fils’s La Portugaise print covers the sofa. The antique Bessarabian rug has a very grand, wide border. 19th century Bessarabian rugs were made to order for Russian royalty. Image courtesy the tdclassicist blog.
5C. Albert Hadley. A view of the field medallions and the Greek key inner border of the Bessarabian rug in Brooke Astor's red lacquered library. Image courtesy peakofchic blog.
6. Bunny Williams Living Room in the Kips Bay Showhouse 2009. A decorative rug pattern has been painted on a canvas with a gold field and a graphic geometric border in white and dark brown. The blue walls balance the warm golds and reds. Image courtesy Bunny Williams.
7. Fashion designer Liza Bruce and artist Nicholas Alvis Vega’s home near Marrakech. The orange Moroccan rug and the red armoire balance the cool purple ceiling. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
8.Mario Buatta. A needlepoint rug with lush over scale flowers on a black background supports a red wall and golden beige upholstery in a classic Mario Buatta room. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
9. Timothy Corrigan. In this Parisian pied-à-terre for a California client, Timothy Corrigan chose a cream oriental rug with red, blue and gold accent colors to hold the yellow drapery and the red cushions. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
10. The red sofa's and yellow walls are supported by a red kilim rug with navy blue, yellow and green motifs. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
11. A Living Room in a Manhattan Apartment. A red ottoman and coffee table sit on a blue and white decorative rug with a large scale pattern that evokes Matisse. The ikat pattern of the drapes combines red, yellow and blue. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
12. Jesse Carrier and Mara Miller. A natural beige sisal rug provides a clean backdrop for this living room in the Wilton, Connecticut home of Yvonne and Jay Fielden. The floor is painted a cool grey-blue which picks up the blue in the four paintings and all are balanced by the pops of red. Image courtesy Elle Decor