Vogue's 15 Top Celebrity Interiors with Decorative Rugs
The 15 best celebrity interiors with decorative rugs from the pages of Vogue magazine stand apart from any you see in even the very best design magazines.
Firstly they blend the worlds high fashion and interior design and all but one of them ahave been designed by the fashion designer themselves without the help of an interior designer. The one exception, Tory Burch, chose her long time friend and class mate to design her Southampton home and so it looks very much in line with Burch's preppy outfits.
Secondly Vogue's photography is outstanding and is far above what you see in interior design magazines. This comes through in the images below which I hope you will enjoy as much as I did. Unfortunately Vogue has cut back its coverage of interior design since 2008, which I hope it will revive as the economy improves.
1. A gold Aubusson rug with acanthus scrolls lends stature to the wood paneled library seen from the gallery doors of Tory Burch's Gatsby era Southampton house that could be the setting for the movie The Philadelphia Story. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
The view into the library is impressively framed by the decor of the gallery-black and white diamond patterned marble floor, white walls, Boxwood topiaries within shelled alcoves and two antique chairs upholstered in needlepoint tapestry. Every object is placed in symmetry.
2. A geometric decorative rug with a small repeating brown and white pattern adds texture and warmth to Tory Burch's solarium. The colors and pattern of the rug tie together all the elements in the room such as the antique blue-and-white china, brown and white geometric wall covering and woven chairs. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine
3. Beige decorative rugs anchor two seating areas in a living room Tory Burch created out of the former ballroom. A pair of Louis Seize needlepoint chairs, brass-and-crystal chandeliers, hand-colored Japanese botanical prints and coral draperies add layers of color, texture and patterns. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine
4. A white decorative rug with small textured flower heads pulls together antique Imari ironstone and a Colefax and Fowler floral wall covering in the bedroom of Tory Burch's Southampton house. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine
5. Tory Burch standing at the window of her Southampton dining room. The exotic panels are based on Turkish Iznik tiles and were custom made by Iksel, the Paris-based wallpaper company. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine
6. A gold Bessarabian rug anchors the exotic print on the armchair and the Egyptian stool in the living area of Christian Louboutin's boat sailing The Nile. This boat is just one of the many exotic homes of Louboutin who has countless celebrity clients such as Princess Caroline of Monaco, Diane von Fürstenberg, Catherine Deneuve, Lady Gaga, Joan Collins, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kim Kardashian and Sarah Jessica Parker. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
7. A Bessarabian rug with a vibrant floral pattern in yellow, green and purple pulls together the apple green walls and a pair of Campana brothers ‘Favela’ chairs in the workroom of design consultant Stephan Hamel in Tuscany. Image (c) Paul Barbera and courtesy Vogue Living.
8. A Bessarabian rug with a border and central medallion of large flowers in pink, emerald green and yellow picks up the purple walls, pink contemporary chair and yellow ceiling of another room in design consultant Stephan Hamel in Tuscany. Image (c) Paul Barbera and courtesy Vogue Living.
9. A decorative rug with thin textured stripes in beige anchors the George Nakashima table and oversize wooden bowls in the living room of Aerin Lauder’s new Aspen home. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
10. Several Moroccan rugs in grey and white define seating areas in the large art filled living room in the Los Angeles home of Mario Testino, one of the world's most well known and celebrated fashion photographers. The brown, black and gold outfit on the model recalls Peruvian art. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
Testino didn’t work with an architect or decorator and told Vogue “I’m so obsessed with it" (the creative process), I have no real training in the history of fine art or furniture; my eye just works by proportions. I react intuitively.” “Coming here, I was inspired by rusts and browns and greens and ochers. The light is so bright, all of a sudden bright colors become garish; they look like bubble gum.”
11. A Moroccan rug with shades of dark brown and gold pulls together the Zebra patterned stool, Rob Pruitt’s Moonlight Bamboo I (2001) and the embossed-leather colonial wooden bench from Peru. The models outfit in grey, brown and ivory has a multitude of patterns that resonate with the decor. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
12. Two long and narrow Moroccan rugs with cream and brown geometric patters balance the baroque heaviness of Hispano-Moresque furniture and complement the modern art in Mario Testino's Los Angeles home. Once again the geometric patterns in the two Moroccan rugs resonate with the patterns in the outfit worn by the model. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
13. In the living room of Utah born fashion designer L’Wren Scott's Paris apartment that she shares with Mick Jagger, an oriental rug in gold and red anchors a curved sofa upholstered in cream bouclé wool from the 1940s and a black coffee table and an Andy Warhol print of John Giorno in the 1963 film Sleep. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
The turn-of-the-century apartment on Paris's Left Bank is one of several homes that fashion designer L’Wren Scott has designed for herself and partner Mick Jagger. Scott has applied her meticulous dress designer skills and patience-taking nine months just to choose the paint .."seeing what looked good on bright days, wintry days, in summer, at night,” she confided to Vogue. The living room's sinuous curtains were dyed by the same silk manufacturers L’Wren Scott that make the fabrics Scott drapes and sculpt with fanatical care to make her signature evening dresses worn to the Academy Awards by the likes of Madonna, Sarah Jessica Parker, Angelina Jolie, Nicole Kidman, Penélope Cruz and Amy Adams. Scott's other celebrity followers include Naomi Campbell, Reese Witherspoon, Christina Hendricks, Jennifer Lopez, Sandra Bullock and Uma Thurman.
14. An intricately patterned oriental rug in vibrant reds and gold with pale blues anchors a cCustom Christophe Delcourt table and gray lacquered chairs in the dining room of L’Wren Scott and Mick Jagger's Left Bank apartment. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.
15. An intricately patterned oriental rug in faded red, black and cream anchors a curved desk and Andy Warhol’s portrait of a young Mick Jagger in the study of L’Wren Scott and Mick Jagger's Paris apartment. Image courtesy Vogue Magazine.