2 Michaels Modern Rooms are Warmed by Gold, Beige and Grey Rugs
Twin sisters Jayne Michaels and Joan Michaels of 2 Michaels Design will be honored as Interior Design Rising Stars this week during New York's D&D Fall 2012 Market.
The two sisters started out as fashion models in Milan for the fashion houses of Alberta Feretti, Blumarine and Gianfranco Ferre. They soon became disenchanted with modeling and a lucky encounter brought them in touch with friends of the Roman architect Marco Albini. The twins wound up renting the Rome apartment of Albini's wife who was traveling out of the country. The elegant apartment was furnished by Albini's creations and the twins were enchanted by it's elevated modern design. They returned to New York and enrolled at the Fashion Institute of Technology after which they worked for interior designers Ronal Borus and Victoria Hagan and then decided to set out on their own.
My 7 favorite 2 Michaels interiors have an artful mix of styles from mid-century modern to Art Deco. They feature warm and comfortable rugs in gold, yellow, grey, taupe and white. The Michaels use a wide range of styles- 20th century Swedish rugs, contemporary silk rugs, geometric rug and Oushak rugs provide balance, harmony and warmth to their modern interiors.
1. Twin sisters Jayne Michaels and Joan Michaels chose a taupe and beige textured rug to provide a warm background for orange, green and taupe upholstery in this inviting Park Avenue living room. Image courtesy 1stdibbs.
2. A Swedish handmade rug with a yellow striped field and grey geometric border anchors the brass coffee table and greenish gold sofa and warms up the grey walls of this living room in a Sutton Place residence. Image courtesy New York Social Diary.
3. A white shag rug provides a cozy backdrop for the mid-century modern furniture in this living room. A red chair balances the cool yellow green of the wall. Image courtesy New York Social Diary
4. An ivory, yellow and blue silk geometric rug brings color and lightness to the foyer of the Sutton Place residence. Image courtesy 2 Michaels Design.
5. A grey-blue silk rugs balances the warm colors of the yellow dining chairs and the wood paneling in this smart and colorful Astor Place loft. Image courtesy 2 Michaels Design.
6. A grey and blue contemporary rug picks up the colors of the blue drapes and pillows. A red mid-century modern chair adds warmth to this Central Park West living room. Image courtesy 2 Michaels Design.
7. A gold and yellow Oushak rug brings in the colors of sunshine in the dining room of the Central Park West apartment. Image courtesy 2 Michaels Design.