"Lean in and take a deep breath: Blossoms are back again," proclaim the editors of Veranda in the July-August 2017 issue... "Its popularity ebbs and flows with the times, but we say the blowsy, bold and beautiful mainstay is ready for a revival." In preparation for the revival of floral chintz fabrics, we have created some great pairings of the 12 top floral fabrics featured in the Veranda article with designer rugs.
"At Nicky Haslam's English countryside retreat, chintz - layers and layers of it - is always is fashion." Veranda
We paired 12 of the 14 floral chintz fabrics featured in the Veranda article with designer rugs.
1. Pair Large Scale Florals With Small Scale Geometric Rugs.
1A. The the blue and white Sigma Oriental Rug 1804BC will resonate with the blues in Wisteria Vine, Periwinkle (1) as well as with the blue accents in Maisie (2), Delphinium (5), Beaufort, blue, green (8), Albertina (9) and Jubilee (11). Sigma has a cut and loop pile of fine hand-spun wool that feels luxurious underfoot and is safe because it has not been chemically washed. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
1B. The golden-beige Sigma Oriental Rug 1804EA will bring out the greens and the blues in Wisteria Vine, Periwinkle and is so versatile it will enhance all 12 floral chintz fabrics in today's post. Sigma has a cut and loop pile of fine hand-spun wool that feels luxurious underfoot and is safe because it has not been chemically washed. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
2. Conjure Sunny Garden with Lush Florals and Yellow Geometric Rug
2A. The yellow and cream Bombay Needlepoint Rug 1325CY has the weathered texture of an antique rug thanks to the fine hand-spun wool yarn. It is not chemically washed. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
3. Energize Curvilinear Florals with Geometric Rugs
3. Jean Monro; Heale House JM805 at Clarence House has prominent curvilinear motifs and would benefit being paired with a large scale geometric rug such as the Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1130 CG pictured below.
3A. Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1130 CG is inspired by Chinoiserie fretwork patterns and is available in the chunky Portuguese needlepoint texture pictured above as well as in the petit point Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1330CG. Both versions are handmade with fine hand-spun wool without use of chemical washes. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
4. Create Youthful Vibe with Floral Chintz and Contemporary Rug.
4.Create a contemporary atmosphere by pairing the Warner Textile Archive; Eleanor at Claremont Furnishing with a contemporary aqua geometric rug such as the Adelphi Oriental Rug 6556UG pictured below.
4A. The aqua, blue-green, gray and cream Adelphi Oriental Rug 6556UG has a luxurious cut and loop pile made of find hand-spun wool and will create a contemporary vibe to Eleanor as well as to Delphinium (9) and Hydrangea & Rose (10) pictured below.
5. Enhance Large Scale Floral Patterns with Small Scale Geometric Rug
5. The large scale floral pattern of Rose Cumming; Delphinium at Dessin Fournir will be enhanced with a small scale geometric rug in green and aqua such as the Basketweave Needlepoint Rug 1109SG pictured below.
5A. The green and aqua Basketweave Needlepoint Rug 1109SG makes a great complement for large scale floral chintz fabrics. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
6. Energize Finely Detailed Floral Chintz with Medium Scale Geometric Rug
6. Create a dynamic interplay between the finely detailed fuchsia vines in Colefax and Fowler; Fuchsia, red at Cowtan & Tout with the green and cream geometric Bamboo Needlepoint Rug 1337CG (6A) or the damask Como Oriental Rug 6099FG (6B)
7. Freshen Floral Trellis Chintz with Geometric or Damask Rugs
7. Enhance the medium scale trellis pattern of Brunschwig & Fils; Flora Pacifica, pink on white. with the small scale geometric Sigma Oriental Rug 1804FC (7A) or the medium scale damask Como Oriental Rug 6099FG (6B).
7A. The green and white small scale geometric Sigma Oriental Rug 1804FC is a great complement for the medium scale Flora Pacifica, pink on white (7) as well as Beaufort, blue, green (8). Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
8. Create drama by pairing Colefax and Fowler; Beaufort, blue, green at Cowtan & Tout with either a blue geometric rug such as the Basketweave Needlepoint Rug 1108CB (8A) or a green geometric rug Sigma Oriental Rug 1804FC (7A).
8A.The blue and white small scale geometric Basketweave Needlepoint Rug 1108CB is a great complement for Beaufort, blue, green (8) as well as for Albertina (9), Maisie (2) Wisteria Vine, Periwinkle (1) and Jubilee, blues (11). Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
9. Enrich Multicolored Floral Chintz with Golden Beige Rug
9. The multicolored Albertina at Hazelton House is extremely flexible and can be enriched by either a golden-beige rug such as Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1130 CD (9A) or Sigma Oriental Rug 1804EA (1B). Albertina will be enhanced by any of the green rugs, blue rugs or yellow rugs in today's post.
9A. The golden-beige and cream Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1130 CD is extremely flexible and will work with all 12 fabrics in today's post. Chipping is inspired by Chinoiserie fretwork patterns and is available in the chunky texture pictured above as well as in a fine petit point Chipping Needlepoint Rug 1330CD. Both versions are handmade with fine hand-spun wool without use of chemical washes. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
10. Change Mood by Switching From Contemporary to Traditional Rugs
10. Some floral chintz fabrics can be taken in either a traditional or contemporary direction depending by pairing them with a traditional or contemporary rug. An example of such a fabric is Jean Monro; Hydrangea & Rose, blue-green at Clarence House. Create a contemporary atmosphere by using it with the aqua and gray Adelphi Oriental Rug 6556UG (4A), or create a more traditional setting with the aqua and green Basketweave Needlepoint Rug 1109SG (5A).
11. Create Resonances Between Color, Pattern and Texture
11.Try to create resonance and contrast at multiple levels between the fabric and the rug as this will create a more satisfying feeling in the room. Jean Monro; Jubilee, blues at Clarence House has a small sale pattern of vines and scattered flowers which contrasts as well as resonate with the Bombay San Marco Needlepoint 1125CB Rug's interlocking medium scale pattern, its rounded motifs and nubby texture.
11A. The blue and white medium scale geometric Bombay San Marco Needlepoint Rug 1125CB contrasts and resonates with Jubilee, blues (11) and will also complement Hydrangea & Rose, blue-green (10) as well as any floral fabric that has blue accents. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
11B. The cobalt blue and white cut and loop pile Ascot Oriental Rug 8126CB will complement any floral chintz fabric that has cobalt blue accents. This rug can be ordered in a wide range of custom sizes. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
12. Balance Scattered Floral Motifs with Structured Geometric Patterns
12A. The green, yellow and cream structured Greek Key pattern Adelphi Oriental Rug 6556YG makes a great complement for a fabric with scatted floral spray such as Lucie, carnation (12). Rug Design © Asmara, Inc