Chanel’s Karl Lagerfeld featured 150 shades of blue on a blue rug during Paris Fashion Week, January 2012.
Blue Rugs and geometric rugs have always been fashionable, but blue reached a new height last month when Karl Lagerfeld’s entire new collection for Chanel was focused on the color blue. Lagerfeld said he chose blue because “blue is an optimistic color”. Apparently the color blue is conducive to thinking of new possibilites.
For today’s post I have selected 10 of my favorite rooms with blue rugs and geometric rugs with blue accents. I hope you will enjoy viewing and learning from these rooms.
10 Decorating Lessons from Stylish Interiors with Blue Rugs and Geometric Rugs
1. A Blue rug in an intricate design not only looks unique but also balances the intricately patterned fabrics. Interior Design by Michael S. Smith.
2. A blue rug in a classic geometric pattern will never go out of style. Billy Baldwin designed this living room on the French Rievera in the 1970’s.
3. A blue rug with a lot of white allows you use yellows to warm up rooms in colder climates. A Southampton retreat by Bunny Williams.
4. Adding warm beige accents to a blue rug is appropriate for colder climates. An East Hampton retreat by Bunny Williams.
5. A high contrast blue rug gives the room a contemporary look. Australian interior designer Iain Halliday designed this living area for Kiane and Charlie von Mueffling’s Manhattan apartment. Elle Decor image.
6. Using the blue rug’s blue tones in the upholstery, walls and accessories gives a modern look to a traditional room. Interior design by Steven Gambrel. Elle Decor image.
7. A geometric blue rug paired with solid blue upholstery fabrics and greenish blue walls creates a warm modern interior. Steven Gambrel’s New York townhouse. Elle Decor image.
8. An intricate repeating patterned blue rug looks contemporary and traditional at the same time. Interior design by Stephen Sills. Architectural Digest image.
9. If the pattern in a blue rug is interesting, let it make the statement in the room. Sea Island, Georgia living room by Lisa Torbett Interiors.
10. A tonal small scale geometric blue rug creates a soothingly cool and comfortable sun room in a warm climate. Sea Island, Georgia sun room by Phoebe Howard.