A large bedroom can feel cold and cavernous unless you solve the special decorating challenges a big room presents. Today’s 11 decorating tips will help you make a make a very large master bedroom feel intimate, cozy and chic with a stylish oversized rug, well aligned bed, pleasing colors and alluring textures.
1. Start with a colorful oversized needlepoint rug and select one vibrant color from the rug to use on the walls, upholstery and pillows. Choose calm colors for the rest of the room and add contrast with crisp whites, black and warm wood tones as in this chic bedroom.
2. Start with a custom oversized Neoclassical rug that contains two main areas of pastel colors one of which is cool and the other warm such the blue and tan in the rug in this bedroom by Bunny Williams. Use these two colors for the walls, upholstery and drapery. Add energy to the room by adding contrasting accents of white, cream, dark brown and leaf green. Leave three or more feet of floor uncovered by the rug and place the bed two-thirds on the rug and one third off the rug. Place some furniture entirely off the rug, some fully on the rug and some partially on the rug as in this bedroom.
3. Place an oversized blue rug so the bed is aligned with the width of the rug. Leave about one to two feet of the floor uncovered. Paint walls cream and the ceiling the same shade of blue as the rug. Upholster the headboard in a cream textured fabric and use white linen. Upholster a chair in light brown and white cowhide and a bench in tan leather. Add accents of gold and yellow throughout the room as in this Florida bedroom by Lovelace Interiors.
4. Start with an oversized geometric rug in soft tonal colors and a small scale pattern. Install the rug either wall to wall or leave four to six inches of floor uncovered all around the rug. Place the bed and sofa against adjacent walls as shown in this master bedroom in a Montana ski lodge designed by Markham Roberts. Place a writing desk by a window and add a mix of rustic and refined objects in traditional and modern styles.
5. Start with an oversized Aubusson rug with a leafy allover pattern and place it in the room so that at least three feet of floor is left uncovered on the long side of the rug and almost none along the width side of the rug (see image below). Place the bed and a bench entirely on the rug and the rest of the furniture entirely off the rug or partially on the rug as in this chic bedroom by Furlow Gatewood. Add contrast with white, gray and dark wood tones.
The Aubusson rug is placed so it goes all the way to the wall on the width side of the rug and leaves three or more feet of bare floor along the length of the rug. Some of the furniture is entirely on the rug, some partially on the rug and some completely off the rug.
Verdure 5031GD Aubusson rug is available in very large sizes such as 11’x16′, 12’x18′ and 14’x20′ as well smaller sizes.
The Julien 5035GD Aubusson rug is available in large sizes such as 10’x14′ and 14’x 20′
6. Start with a custom blue and white oversized flat-weave rug with a medium scale geometric pattern. The rug should be large enough to cover the entire floor leaving just a few inches of floor showing. Place the bed and furniture fully on the rug. Upholster the headboard and some of the chairs in blue and the rest in yellow and gold. Add contrast with accents of brown, white and dark wood tones. Place chairs and lighting to encourage relaxing and reading.
7. Throw out the rule book on rug placement! Position an oversized Oushak rug at an angle to the room and the bed. It is even better if the room has a lot of geometry as in the windows, ceiling and bench in this bedroom published in Elle Decor and highly admired on Pinterest.
8. Dial up the romance with Bergamo a red and white Fortuny style rug by Asmara. Cover the wall at the head of the bead with a red and white geometric wall covering and paint the other wall an apple green. Upholster the headboard and bench in a red, pink and white striped velvet. Add contrast with white linen and white ceiling. This chic bedroom for a Hollywood power couple was designed by Mary McDonald.
9. Position an oversized yellow and coral rug so the width side of the rug runs all the way to the wall and the longer side of the rug is three or more feet from the walls. Align the bed with the width of the rug. The bed will now be half on the rug and half off the rug as shown in this chic Hamptons bedroom by Carrier & Company. Create a seating area at one end of the room and place an upholstered bench or small sofa at the foot of the bed. Use a mix of traditional and contemporary furniture and art in yellow, coral, aqua and blue. Paint the walls aqua and the ceiling white.
10. Place an oversized rug in red or some other deep colors in the center of the room so five or more feet of dark wood floor is exposed. Align the bed with the width of the rug and have approximatey half of the bed on the rug and half off the rug. Create a working or sitting area on the wood floor along the width side of the rug. Add crisp contrast with large expanses of white and dark wood tones.
11. Have an oversized Art Deco rug custom made to fit the bedroom wall to wall. Place a canopy bed against the a wall at right angles to the long side of the rug. Create a sitting area by a window and place an upholstered bench at the foot of the rug. Choose furniture and accessories in a mix of contemporary and Art Deco styles. Restrict the color palette to cream, sea blues, olive greens and accents of gold. Add contrast with dark brown and black accents.