When a sunroom or outdoor space is designed thoughtfully you can enjoy the beauty of nature all year round without compromising comfort or luxury. One of the secrets is a well chosen decorative rug. “It’s such a great luxury to have one of these spaces” Boston interior designer Michael Carter told New England Home, “It really becomes a favorite spot in the house for people.”
1. Kelly Wearstler created a stylish patio for the Doheny estate in Southern California. The custom contemporary rug in deep rose, gold, blue and black is unexpected and exotic. It softens the space with a feeling of luxury and comfort. Image courtesy Kelly Wearstler.
2. Kelly Wearstler is known for her artistic mixes. Here a contemporary dining table is surrounded by golden yellow Chinoiserie chairs and everything is anchored on a traditional red rug. This dining room is open to the outdoors and the patio above. Image courtesy Kelly Wearstler.
3. Kara Mann designed a modern sun room with fabulous views of the garden and lake. A silver grey Oushak rug adds warmth and sophistication to the modern steel and glass structure. Image courtesy Kara Mann Design.
4. Kara Mann’s fabulous living area gives you the immediate presence of the ocean. Comfortable and stylish contemporary furniture is cushioned on a traditional Moroccan rug in brown and white. Image courtesy Kara Mann Design.
5. Kara Mann’s bedroom has direct views of the surf. A red oriental rug adds a delightful contrast to the contemporary furnishings. Image courtesy Kara Mann Design.
A daybed built into a window alcove, plenty of pillows and ottoman all anchored by a beige and gold natural fiber rug makes thissunroom by designer Markham Roberts cool in the summer. If you will be using the sunroom primarily in the fall and winter you can make it feel cozier by using a handspun wool cut and loop rug in a geometric pattern such as the Greek key.
Sigma 1804EA has a Greek key pattern in gold and beige. It is handmade with handspun wool in a cut and loop weave without use of chemical treatments. Sigma is available in a wide range of sizes.
6. Suzanne Tucker’s hilltop retreat in Norhern California opens on a panoramic view of the hills. Traditional furniture in cream and tan sits on a softly colored plaid decorative rug. Image courtesy Tucker and Marks.
7. Appleton & Associates furnished this sun room with antique American furniture in keeping with the structure of the farmhouse. The seating area is defined by a needlepoint rug. Image courtesy Appleton Associates
8. Muriel Brandolini. Glass walls and glass ceiling lets in the trees and the sky. Modern furniture sits on a custom contemporary rug in tonal shades of purple. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
9. Mica Ertegun brought a feeling of the Mediterranian to this house on a hilltop with magnificent views of Los Angeles. Comfortable furniture in warm neutral colors in anchored on a cream Oushak rug. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
10. Elissa Culman’s sun room in her Connecticut home is furnished with Americana and a Greek key geometric rug. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
Sigma 1804KE has a Greek key pattern in khaki green and cream. It is handmade with handspun wool in a cut and loop weave without use of chemical treatments. Sigma is available in a wide range of sizes.
11. Kelly Wearstler chose a richly textured custom black and white decorative rug for the sunroom of a Hillcrest, California estate. The black and white fur throw echoes the color scheme of the decorative rug and introduces a textural softness to balance the metal sculpture and the hard contours of the coffee table. Image courtesy Kelly Wearstler.
Scratch 9014CHA Pile rug has charcoal, black and white wool and bamboo pile. It can be custom ordered in any size.
12. Kelly Wearstler. The living room in the same Hillcrest estate opens to the outdoors with a color palettte of blue, pink and silver. The mix of textures and sculptural shapes gives the feeling of a display in musuem of contemporary art. A blue traditional decorative rug defines the main seating area and a furry, striped decorative rug creates contrast in the seating area in the foreground. Image courtesy Kelly Wearstler.
Scratch 9014PET Pile rug has blue, charcoal and white wool and bamboo pile. It can be custom made in any size.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on May 22, 2012 and has been updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.