If you are looking for ideas on how to create sumptuous interiors with Aubusson rugs, Savonnerie carpets, rich damasks, elegant silks, fabulous English and French antiques, fine porcelains and Old Master paintings you need to look no further than William R. Eubanks who is one of the great practitioners of this type of classic interior design. In today’s post we will learn how much Eubanks relies on Aubusson rugs and Savonnerie carpets to help hime create the look and feel of his splendid interiors.
1. In a Miami seaview apartment William Eubanks created a sumptuous living room with in a color palette of apricot, dusty-red, and pale yellow derived from a richly colored Aubusson rug. All these colors are warm and this makes them pop against the blue of the ocean and the sky that is visible through the large floor to ceiling windows. Eubanks could have used a color palette of blue, yellow and beiges to resonate with the colors of the sea, but then the room would not have had this warm, jewel like look. The black and white animal print velvet on the antique armchairs and the leopard velvet on the pillows moves the eye across the room and adds energy. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
2. Eubanks chose a very different color palette for this opulent living room in a Palm Beach retreat that overlooks the ocean. The Savonnerie carpet is in tones of beige and has large scale scrolling leaves that add movement and texture to the room. The beige of the rug is continued on to the paneled walls and ceiling thereby providing a pale beige background from floor to ceiling against which to showcase the delicate cream and blue fabrics and porcelain. The expansive Japanese screen adds warm brown tones as well cool grey-blues which resonate with the blues elsewhere in the room. The leopard velvet appears again, this time on an ornate gilded antique French stool. Note how the leopard print resonates with the Japanese screen. It is these kind of resonances that make Eubank’s rooms so engaging. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
2A. Another view of the seaside living room shows the beautiful use of blue objects spread throughout the room to move the eye lovingly all over the room. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
3. In a large open plan space Eubanks creates a cozy fireplace seating area anchored by a Savonnerie carpet. The rug’s smoky grey and gold color palette is continued across the room. Several shades of grey, taupe and black are used in the room from the pale grey of the walls,to taupe fireplace, medium grey upholstered chair and the black of the neoclassical coffee table. The gold tones in the Savonnerie carpet are also carried throughout the room such as in the coffee table, candelabras, picture frame. table lamps and chandelier. The white ceiling provides contrast and also reflects the light from the windows in the far side of the room. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
4. One of the great lessons to learn from William Eubanks is how to beautifully connect the inside of the room with the outdoor view from the windows. The windows of this living room filter in a lot of green colors from the surrounding gardens. Eubanks created a warm contrast to the cool green’s outside with an elegant Aubusson rug with muted red, gold, beige and cream. Eubanks then used these colors all across the room to create a rich jewel like space. The warm colors in the room look more beautiful against the backdrop of the green trees discernable through the windows. Compare this room to the first room where Eubanks used a similar device with bakcdrop of the cool blue of the ocean and sky. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
5. This Eubanks designed living room works its majic on you more quietly. At first glance the room may look a little too subdued, but if you spend a little more time looking at it and imagine yourself actually sitting in this room, you begin to feel a cozy calmness come over you. It is due to the fireplace and the color palette of soft greens, beige, pale yellow and muted reds which are all derived from the floral Aubusson rug. The bold stripes of the sofa and chair fabric provide a contrast to the lyrical floral pattern of the Aubusson rug. Pale yellow walls and pale yellow silk sofa amplify the light from the windows and the lamps and also provide a contrast to the daker colors in the rest of the room. Image courtesy William Eubanks.
William Eubanks interiors show how Aubusson rugs and Savonerrie carpets make it easy to design luxurious, plush and beautiful interiors. I hope Eubanks decorating approach sparks some ideas for your own distinctive room with Aubusson and Savonnerie rugs.