AD100 designers predict that a big trend for 2016 is combining the antique with the modern. Oushak rugs are the embodiment of this as they combine ancient motifs with colors that feel remarkably contemporary. This combination of opposites gives Oushak rugs the ability to complement all styles of furniture and art. They allow you to mix traditional furniture with mid-century and modern art with antiques and create unique and unforgettable interiors as the 7 tips for decorating with Oushak rugs show.
1. Complement spectacular modern art with an Oushak Rug: Choose an Oushak rug in a color that is a complement of the dominant color in the artwork. Use warm neutrals for the upholstery and walls so the focus is on the art and the Oushak rug as in the Beverly Hills living room by Michael S. Smith.
2. Design a modern version of John Fowler and Nancy Lancaster’s yellow living room: Start with an Oushak rug with red and pomegranate on a gold background and complement it with one stunning red Chinoiserie accessory a few animal print pillows, red sofa and cream chairs. Set everything against brilliant yellow lacquered walls and crisp white ceiling as in this spectacular Houston living room by Miles Redd.
3. Complement Mid-Century Modern Furniture with an Oushak Rug. Oushak rugs are extremely versatile and allow you to mix contemporary, mid-century modern and traditional styles into a unified whole as in this beautiful sitting room by Jan Showers.
4. Bring a contemporary vibe to a traditional room with a gray Oushak rug. A gray Oushak rug looks contemporary and at the same time it works beautifully with antiques and traditional furniture as in this living room by Suzanne Kasler.
Note how the the smaller rug is layered on top of a larger natural fiber rug and makes the room feel larger and more comfortable.
5. Create a light and airy atmosphere with a cream Oushak rug. Paint the walls and ceiling white and upholster the sofa and chairs in pale cream. Add contrast with dark wood floors and upholster one chair with a pale leopard print as in this Atlanta living room designed by Carole Weaks.
6. Rejuvenate a traditional oak paneled library with an Oushak rug. Complement the oak paneled walls with an Oushak rug that has cool colors such as blue and aqua and mix traditional furniture with contemporary art as in this California living room by Miles Redd.
7. Enrich a rustic living room. Rustic wood beams create a feeling of comfort and informality and an Oushak rug adds sophistication and soft texture. Paint the walls and ceiling white and create contrast with aqua and green pillows and accessories as in this living room by Cornerstone Architects.