Architectural Digest recently surveyed the world’s top 100 interior designers known as the AD100 and asked them to predict the big design trends for 2016. Los Angeles based Madeline Stuart foresees “Patterned fabrics! Fabulous Fortuny, cheerful chintz, delicate damasks . . . bring it on! We’ve been on a solid diet of solids for far too long.” Alexa Hampton of Mark Hampton, Inc. New York agrees and says “…. I think people are yearning for individuality. I also think pattern is very much on the rise.” To inspire you with the amazing possibilities of damask patterns here are 9 ways of designing gorgeous interiors with damask rugs and patterned fabrics.
9 Ways of Decorating with Damask Rugs
1. Create tranquility with taupe damask rug: There is far too much of pale taupe and beige rugs. Here is an exciting alternative: start with a damask rug in pale neutrals such as taupe. cream and beige. Then add warmth with beige and cream damask upholstery and gold drapes. Introduce contrast with contemporary coffee tables in a pale color. Add pops of color with flowers or small accessories as in this living room in Bridgehampton, New York by AD 100 designer Alex Papachristidis who told AD his trend forecast: “We can only hope the future will bring a return to classical, layered, and thoughtful decorating.”
Asmara’s Alcazar 6010T damask rug has taupe, beige, gold and cream (see detail image below) and is inspired by the architecture of Granada, Spain. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
Detail of Alcazar 6010T damask rug overlaid with fabrics in taupe, beige, gold, cream, brown and copper. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
2. Surprise by mixing the very classical with the very modern. If everything in a room is from the same or the same style, the room looks boring. Create a memorable living area by pairing unexpected styles and colors such as a large, boldly colored abstract painting in a room with classical architecture and beige damask rug as in this spectacular Palm Beach living room by Scott Snyder.
3. Renew by pairing the rugged and refined. If everything in a room is polished and refined, the room will lack vitality. Bring out the beauty of refined objects such as the fine Spanish damask rug in this room by placing it next to something rustic such as the weathered bluish-gray soapstone wall surrounding the fireplace in this Aspen ski lodge designed by AD100 designer William Sofield.
4. Amaze by contrasting the avant-garde with the ornate. If you were to pair this red and white baroque pattern damask rug with equally ornate traditional furniture, you will have an old fashioned and formal room. Instead pair it with a contemporary or mid century modern sofa in a highly contrasting color such as blue as in this chic and modern living room.
5. Revitalize open plan living room with red upholstery and gold damask rug. An open plan living space can feel cold and cavernous. Define the sitting area with a gold damask rug such as the Valencia oriental rug. Next dial up the warmth by upholstering some chairs and pillows in red fabrics in a mix of patterns and solids in a mix of textures such as silk, cotton and velvet as in this living room by Shilah Stribling in Tampa, Florida.
6. Generate a graceful elegance with golds. Delicate and softly colored gold and beige damask rugs will add an air of refined elegance to a bedroom. Pair it with crisp white bed linen with gold bands. Create contrast with subtle accents of white, tan, dark brown and black as in this bedroom.
7. Burnish blue with gold. For a rich look start with a blue and gold damask rug such as this custom colored Morena rug and complement it with upholstery in sea-blue, green and coral as in this large sitting room in Sea Island, Georgia designed by Lisa Torbett Interiors.
The Morena 6813GD oriental rug has gray blues on a gold and taupe background and is inspired by antique Spanish rugs. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
8. Energize by mixing modern with exotic. Create an airy and colorful living room by mixing small Moroccan accent furniture, red, god and blue pillows, neutral contemporary sofa and pull everything together with a blue and gold damask rug.
The Sahara 6100GTL oriental rug has shades of silvery gray blues on a gold background. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
8. Generate joy with green. For a soothing and refreshing sleep choose a green damask rug with many shades of green ranging from fresh spring greens to blue watery greens such as the Medici damask rug in this Florida bedroom designed by Shilah Stribling. Balance the cool greens with warm red accents such as the red pillows and red day bed in this bedroom.
Medici 6045CYG oriental rug has many shades of green from fresh spring green to blue sea green and aqua with accents of yellow and is inspired by a Italian Renaissance brocades. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.
9. Jazz up with jewel tones. A good antidote to a noisy city is a bedroom that cocoons you in soft and quiet luxury. Start with a damask rug in warm colors such as gold and orange and pair it with cool colored velvet upholstery and wallcoverings such as the green, blue and purple in this jewel box of a bedroom by Steven Gambrel.
The Marbella 6076RY Damask oriental rug has a yellow and gold damask field surrounded by a coral, amber and orange border and is inspired by Saffavid and Andalusian silk brocades. Rug Design © Asmara, Inc.