1. Small amounts of red and yellow are introduced through the art work and flowers and these shots of color appear more dramatic against the black and white color scheme of this East Side, New York living room. The black silk contemporary rug brings out the shapes of the white Art Deco style chairs with metallic bands. Interest is created by the interplay of curved forms of the black chair, white coffee table and piano. The greenish-grey walls and taupe leather sofa are unexpected touches. They add warmth and bring energy to the black and white color scheme. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
1B. A view of the library from the living room of the East Side Residence. The entrance to the library is between two seating areas in the living room defined by black silk contemporary rugs- a corner of the rug is just visible on the right. Placing a black rug on a lacquered black floor is an unexpectedly subtle touch that whispers luxury. The red top of the library table carries the red accents from the art work in the living room. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
2. The large scale black and white Zigzag or Chevron patterned wool rug introduces movement and energy to the library of the New York East Side residence. The wire globe and the rounded forms of the floor lamp balance the angular patterns in the rug while the tan wood paneling adds warmth. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
3. The influence of Mesoamerican architectural motifs is evident in the geometric pattern of this grey, taupe and white rug in the living room of a Pound Ridge, New York residence. Mesoamerican influences were often seen in French Art deco rugs and in the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
3A. This view of the living room reveals how curvilinear forms in the art, furniture and accessories soften the geometric lines of the rug. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
4. An Art Deco rug defines the seating area of the master bedroom in the residence in Pound Ridge, New York. The black and grey wave pattern in the rug contrasts with a yellow block and resonates with the Art Deco chair. The yellow and black color theme is carried to the closets in the dressing room. Drama is created with a black bed cover with a thin white band. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
5. A small scale black and white Zigzag patterned Art Deco rug defines the dining area in the Pound Ridge, New York residence. The sleek long polished bar adds drama while the bronze dining chair fabric dazzles against the purple glow from the walls. While Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
6. White animal skins against a black floor give the appearance of an over scale black and white curvilinear Art Deco rug. The curved white and black Art Deco chairs echo the pattern on the floor. The straight lines of the white sofa balance the curvilinear shapes . Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
6A. This view of the living room shows how the rectangular shape of the black coffee table echoes the lines of the white sofa and balances the curvilinear shapes of the rugs and Art Deco chairs. The white sculpture on the coffee table is a Juan Montoya signature touch. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.
7. Black and white striped rugs define the sleeping and seating areas in this Bal Harbour, Florida master bedroom. The rounded contours of the bed and sofa balance the straight lines of the Arts and Crafts chair and the linear pattern of the rug. The wall panels and coral colored fabric wall covering add a cozy softness. Image courtesy Juan Montoya Design.