Contemporary grey rugs offer excellent decorative possibilities as you demonstrated by these 14 stunning interiors by some of the most cretive American and French interior decorators.
Most people think grey rugs are only for contemporary interiors so you will be surprised to see the three exceptionally beautiful traditional interiors with grey rugs featured towards the end of this post. To see more fabulous interiors with grey rugs, please check out these two posts:
1. A grey Art Deco rug anchors a most elegant living by Jean-Louis Deniot in Bridgehampton, New York. Image courtesy Jean-Louis Deniot.
The elegance of the grey contemporary Art Deco rug is it’s utter simplicity-the thin unevenly drawn lines hint at the handmade nature of the rug as do the slightly irregular shape meeting points of the lines. The circular Art Deco pattern of the grey sofa fabric, the circular coffee table and the sinuous bench are balanced by the straight lines in the Art Deco rug and the stripes in the pillows. The navy sofa with white trim adds depth and contrast. The warm beige wallcovering balances the cool greys.
2. A grey wool and silk contemporary rug with a pattern of irregular paving stones in two tones of grey sets the stage for the sculptural furniture in this Manhattan dining room by Elle Decor 2012 A-List interior designer Joe Nahem. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
The sculptured legs of the orange dining chairs and white dining table appear to stand as ballet dancer on the shiny surface of the grey contemporary rug. Interior designer Joe Nahem is known as an expert at decorating with sculptural furniture pieces by French designers of the 1940s and George Nakashima.
3. Interior designer Steven Volpe chose a white and grey contemporary rug with an Art Deco pattern of overlapping rectangles to set the stage for the billiard table and seating area in the lounge of a Bay Area residence of a tech-sector titan. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
3A. Another view of the lounge showing the sponge like book shelf. Image courtesy Architectural Digest.
4. Markham Roberts chose a grey and white striped contemporary rug to energize a modern dining room that has a striking grey and white damask wall covering and stunning purple velvet dining chairs with theatrically curved backs. Image courtesy House Beautiful.
5. Philip Gorrivan brought energetic movement to this New York living room with the dynamic geometric pattern of the grey and white rug. Red pillows create pop on the purplish-grey sofa. Image courtesy Philip Gorrivan.
6. This Hamptons dining room by interior designer Marshall Watson has a wonderful mix of traditional and modern. The pattern and cool colors of the grey and blue contemporary wool rug balances the warm browns of wood grain patterned wall covering and complements the straight lines of the white dining chairs. Image courtesy Traditional Home Magazine.
7. In this library of a Paris apartment on Boulevard St. Germain, interior designer Jean-Louis Deniot chose a grey contemporary rug with fine stripes in may shades of grey, beige and blue to balance the curved shape of the room. There is a wonderful play of shapes this elegant and complex room- the irregular shaped wood coffee table, the different shapes of the pillows on a sofa that appears to hug the curvature of the room and the lighting. Image courtesy Jean-Louis Deniot.
8. A grey and beige contemporary rug with a narrow striped border anchors a reddish-brown leather sofa and cow-hide cover modern day-bed in a living room by interior designer Juan Ignacio Ramos. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
9. Kelly Wearstler echoed the diamond trellis pattern of the taupe-grey and brown Moroccan rug with an abstract pattern on the walls of this bedroom. The round petrified wood coffee table and basket chairs balance the linear pattern of the rug and wall decoration. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
10. Stylist Juan Carlos Garcia-Lavin chose a grey striped contemporary rug to create order in his living room and balance the irregular natural shapes of the 1940s carved-wood chairs and the large amount of artwork. the collection of artworks includes flea-market finds and pieces by Garcia-Lavin’s friends. The walls throughout are painted in Decorator’s White. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
11. Interior designer Charlotte Dunagan chose a silk grey rug for this Miami living room.
12. Interior designer Barry Dixon chose a geometric grey rug for this traditional bedroom.
13. Elle Decor A List interior designer Robert Couturier chose a striped grey rug to give a clean, contemporary look to this traditional dining room. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
14. The Manhattan residence of classical violinist Joshua Bell has a grey contemporary rug with a pattern that has irregular layers that complements the sculptural modernist shapes of the blue sofas and the artwork.