You’ve seen them, and you’ve fallen in love. Beautiful, richly colored Aubusson rugs have found a place in your heart! From the classy rooms of Downton Abbey to the glamorous interiors that Pinterest has you pining for, you would love to fill your home with such a luxurious feel. But you are not quite sure how to get started and how to pick the right Aubusson rug to create the feeling you desire for the space. So I put together a short list of what to look for so you end up with that perfect Aubusson rug that will bring glamour and chic style to your interiors. I will explain these step by step and illustrate them with examples of rooms by great interior designers.
1. An Aubusson rug with a grand medallion adds disntinction to a living room in Palm Beach, Florida designed by Scott Snyder. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
1. How to Pick an Aubusson Rug for a Very Large Room
The Aubusson rug in the above living room has plenty of space to show off how beautiful it is. The room was large enough to allow the furniture to be arranged along the sides in clusters, so the central medallion of the Aubusson rug can be appreciated. If you have a large enough room and if arranging the furniture along the edges of the room works for the way you intend to use the room then you can choose an Aubusson with a prominent medallion and enjoy the drama and glamor it brings to the room.
2. How to Pick an Aubusson Rug for a Medium Size Room
2. In this living room the interior designer dialed up the glamour by arranging the seating around the architectural oval medallion of the Neoclassical Aubusson needlepoint rug by Asmara. A round table has been placed slightly off center on the oval medallion. Image courtesy Southern Accents via the Belclaire House blog.
While counter-intuitive, even if the space isn’t as large as the first living room, you can still get a very glamorous impact from an Aubusson rug with a large medallion. You can play up the drama by placing furniture closer to the center of the Aubusson rug. The above room illustrates this as the seating is placed right around the medallion at the center of the Aubusson rug. Giving a sense of intimacy, an Aubusson rug with a large center medallion can give you all the luxury you’re looking for even if the space is smaller.
3. How to Pick an Aubusson Rugs that will Add Color and Energy to a Room
3. The room above is decorated with soft blue and vibrant yellow greens, a palette derived from the Aubusson rug. Such vibrant colors brings energy to this room in a delightful way! I tis harder to find Aubusson rugs in clear fresh colors as the rug in this room. But if you find an Aubusson rug is clear, fresh greens, you can design a unique and invigorating room around the cheerful colors in such an Aubusson rug. Image Courtesy Scott Snyder.
4. How to Pick an Aubusson Rug that will Add a Feeling of Grandeur
4. Featuring the color scheme typically envisioned when thinking about Aubusson rugs and their royal heritage, the Blue Drawing Room in Buckingham Palace, London has an English Axminster carpet in rich reds, golds and browns. Such color schemes are often used in grand salons and libraries where the designer wishes to imbue the space with a feeling of grandeur. English Axminster carpets, Aubusson rugs and Savonnerie carpets share a common design aesthetic. Photo by Peter Smith, The Royal Collection, copyrighted 2009 by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
5. How to Pick and Aubusson Rug for Downton Abbey Style Decorating
5. In this scene from Downton Abbey, a disregard for color coordination is seen in accordance with the typical Edwardian style which all fans of the drama series have fallen in love with. Edwardian interiors have a “collected, rather than decorated” look. This look came about naturally because the furniture, paintings and Aubusson rugs were acquired by the family over many generations. These rooms have a natural elegance than is very satisfying. Some modern interior designers consciously strive for the “collected, rather than decorated” look. These designers feel that a room in which the fabrics, wall color and rug are perfectly color coordinated looks too “decorated” which to their view is not what really sophisticated room should feel like. Image courtesy the enchantedserenityperiodfilms blog.
The Empress’s bedroom in the Grand Trianon at the Palace of Versailles is a stunning example of the French Empire style. While hot pink is used on the chairs, banister, and the wall in the bed alcove, there is only a very pale pink in the Aubusson rug. The dominant colors in the Aubusson rug are cool blues and greens. Hot pink is on the opposite end of the color wheel from the blue and green in the Aubusson rug and this is why it creates such a pop in this room. So if you wish to create drama through color, pick an Aubusson rug in colors that are at the opposite end of the color wheel from the colors you want to use in the room. You can furnther heighten the drama by creating a sharp contrast by using white or black next to the color you want to pop as in this room where the hot pink silk on the chairs contrast with the white frames. Image Courtesy Kenski1970 on Flickr.
Once you have determined the size of the Aubusson rug, and whether you want an Aubusson rug with or without a medallion, and what kind of impact you wish to achieve with colors and if you wish to create a “collected” or a “decorated” look, the fun of shopping for your Aubusson rug can begin! And the glamorous rooms you’re looking for can be yours.
Here are is a selection of Aubusson rugs that will help you achieve a range of distinctive and glamorous looks:
The Treillage Aubusson Rug has a crisp white background and leaves in hundreds of shades of green from yellow green to blue green as well as beige. This Aubusson rug makes it easy to design a room with vibrant or subdued greens and blues. Shown in Size 10×14
The Giselle Needlepoint Rug is inspired by a 19th Century French Aubusson rug. The gold background and aqua green border provide a perfect foundation for designing Edwardian style rooms with a “Collected, not Decorated” look.
The Pamplona R Aubusson Rug’s Neoclassical pattern is inspired by French Empire Aubusson rugs. The many shades of red, golds and beiges allow you to design either subtle or dramatic interiors. Shown in size 10’x14′
You might find these interesting: