Bedrooms can be be so much more than a place to sleep. The 18 gorgeous spaces by top designers show how you can create an intimate refuge from the noise and interruption of daily life with relaxing and soothing sitting and work areas and make them cozy with decorative rugs.
1. A beige cut and loop silk rug provides a cozy backdrop for the painted canvas panel, Empire bench, antique English hall chair and secretary in Nina Griscom and Leonel Piraino’s bedroom in their Manhattan duplex.
2. A shimmering blue silk rug and pale mint green walls create the feeling of being immersed in the sea in this Hampton’s bedroom. A garden facing deck provides a private serene refuge. Dark wood tones and white linen add contrast.
3. A brown, black and white geometric oriental adds warmth and pattern to this handsome bedroom that opens onto an Italianate ochre-yellow arched veranda that evokes romance and solitude.
4. A brown and white striped rug anchors the seating area and brings warmth to the blue and white color scheme of the master bedroom in designers Andrew Fisher and Jeffry Weisman’s getaway in the beautiful Mexican city of San Miguel de Allende. The designers re-purposed an 18th-century industrial space into a luxurious compound.
5. A cream, red, green and gold geometric rug anchors burgundy bedcover and yellow walls in designer Arthur Dunham’s New York bedroom. Apricot pillows add pop and a contemporary hammered-iron wall sculpture brings movement.
6. A Blue Summer oriental rug brings in the feeling of a floral garden and complements paneled walls and arched ceiling in the master bedroom of a Cape Cod with magnificent sea views.
7. A pale peach and cream Oushak rug brings a graceful atmosphere to the sitting area of a master bedroom designed by Suzanne Kasler.
8. A pale blue silk rug provides a luxurious and serene backdrop for grey, blue and white color scheme of a master bedroom designed by Suzanne Kasler. A Greek key patterned bedspread compliments the neoclassical bench and a cream and beige daybed offers relaxing garden views.
9. A grey geometric rug balances lavender-pink walls and gold, cream and red paisley fabrics in a romantic bedroom designed by Suzanne Rheinstein.
10. A custom cream and beige geometric rug brings warmth and movement to a turquoise blue and white bedroom designed by Brian J. McCarthy.
11. A beige textured rug contrasts with the filmy white muslin bed canopy fabric and beige damask wall covering in this stunning New York bedroom designed by Jeffrey Bilhuber. A fur throw on a pale sea-green bench and a side chair with pattered fabric add interest.
12. A coral and blue oriental rugs adds warmth and balances the green and pink color scheme of a romantic canopy bedroom designed by Ralph Lauren.
13. A textured brown contemporary rug defines the sitting area of a Beverly Hills master suite with hilltop views decorated by Magni Design. A slate-covered fireplace separates the sleeping and sitting areas. The organic shape of a tree trunk coffee table contrasts with the straight architectural lines of the space and the furniture.
14. A cream, gold and red Oushak rug brings luxurious texture and subtle pattern to a cream, gold and beige bedroom. Dark wood tones of the four poster bed and bench add contrast.
15. A dark canopy bed, deep turquoise walls and a blue Oushak rug create the feeling of an intimate and artistic refuge. The room is full of interesting contrasts such as the refined blue silk damask bedcover next to rustic chairs and a Kimono fabric draped on a neoclassical bench.
16. A Rosecliff oriental rug brings a romantic French Savonnerie pattern to a guest bedroom in the Cape Cod home pictured in image 6 above.
17. A beige oriental rug compliments the arched wood ceiling and blue and white fabrics in a guest bedroom in designers Andrew Fisher and Jeffry Weisman’s getaway in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico pictured in image 4 above.
Images courtesy of Arcitectural Digest, PlanOmatic, Suzanne Kasler, Suzanne Rheinstein, Veranda, Ralph Lauren and Interior Archive.