Pinterest’s vast archive of glamorous interiors and beautiful decorative rugs is growing so rapidly it is nearly impossible to keep up. I have done hours of research over the past several weeks and picked these 10 Most Glamorous Interiors with Aubusson Rugs on Pinterest.
1. Christian Dior Paris. A French Neoclassical Aubusson rug in reddish brown, gold and black provides an architectural backdrop for a day bed and chairs upholstered in pinkish red silk and white French chairs upholstered in black silk. Green wall covering trimmed with black provides a soothing background while the white wainscoting makes the reds and blues pop. Source: Pinterest Neoclassical Rugs, Empire Rugs via Beautiful Interiors – Historical
2. A gold and cream Aubusson rug provides a neutral backdrop for lavender walls, pink and white French arm chairs and a yellow and beige striped ottoman that serves as a coffee table in this chic living room and library. Source: Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style via interiors.
3. Nelson Rockefeller’s New York living room designed by family friend and architect Wallace K. Harrison. Parisian artist Christian Bérard designed the Aubusson rug with yellow, white and black flowers on a reddish brown background. Jean-Michel Frank was responsible for the furniture. He created a mix of “modern and ancient” styles which included Louis XIV and Directoire antiques as well as Frank’s own designs. Frank also purchased modern pieces such as the Diego Giacometti lamps and andirons and commissioned Christian Bérard to design the large Aubusson rug. Source: Pinterest Celebrity & Historic Rugs via Living With Personality and Style
3A. Nelson Rockefeller’s living room had wood paneling and two chimneys. Above one fireplace was a mural by Matisse and above the second, a fresco by Leger. Source: Pinterest Celebrity & Historic Rugs via Living With Personality and Style
4. Designer Jim Koch makes a statement with an Asmara gold and black La Sarre Aubusson rug under a glass topped dining table. Wall murals bring in the scenic pastoral views from the French bay windows. The gold scrolls in the Aubusson rug balance the heavy wood side board. Image courtesy Koch Studio. Source: Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
5. David Easton slid half of the elliptical medallion of the powerful gold, brown and blue Directoire Aubusson rug under the four poster bed. The orange-yellow of the walls and the blues of the chair fabric echo the colors in the Aubusson rug. Alix Perrachon quotes David Easton in her book the Decorative Carpet “One needs to start with the rug – how can you make any other decision in the room, including the choice of sofa fabric,without it?”…(fine rugs are) “… like having a painting on the floor. It affects everything else in the room.” Source: Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
6. Green leafy feuilles de choux Aubusson rug in the Americus, Georgia home of designer and antique collector Furlow Gatewood who rescued an old style Sothern mansion from demolition and turned into a showplace for antiques. Image courtesy the Splendid Sass blog and Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
6A. The green leafy feuilles de choux Aubusson rug compliments antique furniture, white bed linen, white sofa and grey and white walls in the bedroom of Furlow Gatewood. Image courtesy the Splendid Sass blog and Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
7. Downton Abbey. A gold, red and green Aubusson rug compliments sea blue damask wall covering and white and gold doors in the drawing room where Lady Sybil models her new evening outfit for her mother, Lady Mary and grandmother. Source: Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
8. A cream, red and gold Aubusson rug anchors a lavender-pink contemporary day bed and sofa. By using the same lavender and pink silk damask for the walls and drapes this living room feels traditional, contemporary and romantic at the same time. Source: Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style. via interiors that inspire I.
9. A cream, brilliant blue and yellow 1950’s American made Aubusson rug supports a Jansen daybed and a 1950’s French chandelier in antique dealer and interior designer Jean Paul Beaujard’s Paris living room which has 25 foot high ceilings. Image courtesy Architectural Digest and Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
10. The Room of Mirrors in the Grand Trianon in the Palace of Versailles has a French Empire Aubusson rug with purplish red and gold on a cream ground. The drapes and chairs are in blue, silver and gold silk damask which balances the warm colors in the rug. Image © EPV, Jean-Marc Manaï and Pinterest Aubusson Rugs Style.
The designs and colors of French Aubusson rugs are a living record of French decorative history from the eighteenth century to the present day. Here is a selection of Asmara Aubusson rugs that gives some sense of the wide range of styles in Aubusson rugs.
The LaSarre Aubusson rug has gold scrolls and deep purple ribbons on a dark brown-black background.
The Verdure Aubusson rug has large exotic leaves that came to be known as feuilles de choux, even though they have nothing to do with cabbage leaves, and were actually inspired by botanical specimens brought back 17th century European explorers. Image courtesy Asmara, Inc.
The Chambery Aubusson has a gold background and lyrical scrolls with red, white and gold motifs.
The Garonne Aubusson represents the French Empire style.