Architect and interior designer Rafael de Cárdenas has been named among the five Rising Stars of Architecture and Interior Design who will be honored at New York D&D’s Fall 2012 Market this week.
Caredenas’s colorful inventive style has drawn a young fashionable clientele that includes cover girl Jessica Stam and cosmetics star Jeanine Lobell and actor Anthony Edwards.
de Cárdenas worked as a menswear designer for Calvin Klein before leaving to earn a master’s degree in architecture. His interiors exhibit a love of colorful rugs and fabrics which he puts together in a distinctive romantic style as we will see in these 9 high fashion interiors.
1. A pink, red and gold geometric oriental rug is dramatized on a glossy black-purple wood floor in this romantic living room in a 10th Street apartment by Rafael de Cárdenas. A curved purple Art deco sofa and pink velvet chair look beautiful against a brick wall. A dark colored ornate wall paper covers the far wall. Image courtesy Rafael de Cárdenas.
2. A tone on tone purple silk geometric rug provides a soft textured canvas for furnishings in many shades of purple from dark to very soft in Rafael de Cárdenas’s living room designed for cover girl Jessica Stam. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
2A. Cover girl Jessica Stam at the Moroccan doors in her living room. The purple silk rug is placed on a black lacquered floor and supports furnishings and accessories in may shades of purple. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
2B. The Greek -key inspired geometric purple silk rug complements the neoclassical recamier and balances the floral pattern of the vintage wall paper in Jessica Stam’s apartment. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
3. A damask patterned black and white rug balances the vintage floral wall paper and complements the rounded white dining table and chairs in Rafael de Cardenas design for the dining room of cosmetics star Jeanine Lobell and actor Anthony Edwards Park Avenue apartment. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
4. An overdyed purple oriental rug anchors fuchsia walls and a mid-century cabinet in the foyer of Jeanine Lobell and Anthony Edwards Park Avenue apartment. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
5. A purple, pink and blue Chinese Art Deco rug supports a grey sofa with purple pillows and two blue and black Art deco chairs in the Park Avenue living room of Jeanine Lobell and Anthony Edwards. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
6. in the game room of Jeanine Lobell and Anthony Edwards Park Avenue apartment an aqua green and purple early 20th century Chinese Art Deco rug pulls together Art Deco chairs upholstered in a pink and white leaf patterned fabric and tree themed sculpture and painting. Image courtesy Elle Decor.
7. This view of the game room shows a second Chinese Art Deco rug with a large purple central medallion floating on a sea blue field. Image courtesy Rafael de Cárdenas.
8. A dark purple 1920’s Chinese Art Deco rug anchors hot pink crocodile patterned velvet arm chairs and a dark grey sofa accented with turquoise silk pillows in the living room of an 18th Street apartment designed by Rafael de Cárdenas. Image courtesy Rafael de Cárdenas.
9. A white fur rug float like a cloud on a blue painted wood floor carrying mid-century modern sofa and chairs in this ethereal living room in an East Hampton residence designed by Rafael de Cárdenas. A fuchsia chair pops against a turquoise wall and a gold shell backed chair shimmers aginst a grey wall. Image courtesy Rafael de Cárdenas.